Title: Blaydon Co-operative, Church Street
Photographer: T. Ridley & Sons
Date: Date Unknown
Reference Number: GL001026
Item Description: Blaydon Co-operative Society first commenced in 1858 with 38 members. The first store, which stood in Cuthbert St was 2nd in Co-operative Union in the country. The ethic of the Cooperative Societies was to trade by a few basic simple rules for the benefit of members. Every member must buy shares (often one shilling each), be issued with a share Number. All goods would be retailed at a fair market price, and profits returned to the society for expansion, and to members in dividend related to the amount purchased, so much in the pound, say 2s. Each society formed would have its own trading name, its own shop premises to be called a 'store', and elected committees to manage it all.
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 8.798 secs.