Title: Spencers Buildings and 'Barracks', Holburn Lane, Ryton
Date: Date Unknown
Reference Number: 02_10
Item Description: This photograph shows the buildings that once stood at the foot of Holburn Lane. The largest building at the end of the row was known for many years as the 'Barracks'. This name was derived from it having been the H.Q. of the Light Horse Volunteers. By the time this photograph was taken the building had been tennemented and provided housing for a number of families. The buildings were demolished in the 1950s[?] and flats were built on the site in the 1960s.
This image is taken from one of a number of glass plate negatives collected by W.A. Cocks of Ryton. W.A. Cocks was a keen local historian, archaeologist and an inveterate collector. He not only collected and played pipes, but also made them. He helped to produce the first ever book of plans for making Northumbrian pipes and researched extensively into the history of the pipes in the region. His collection of glass plates date from the late 1890s to the 1950s. Many of the early images were taken by J.P. Dalton, Surveyor to Ryton Urban District Council between 1898 and 1905. The plates are numbered and an annotated notebook in Cock's hand accompanies the collection from which title and date information is taken.
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 9.248 secs.