Title: Ryton Village, c1896
Reference Number: 03_04
Item Description: This photograph shows Ryton Village before the demolition of Elvaston Hall, looking east from the Village Green. Pictured first left is the village Post Office, then in the care of Miss Janet Thompson, who is listed as the postmistress as early as 1896 and as late as 1914. Next to the Post Office are Elvaston Cottages followed by the Three Jolly Lads Inn. The cottages were demolished in the 1950s whilst the Inn was replaced with a larger Edwardian model shortly after this photograph was taken. Background right are stables of Elvaston Hall, the home of Charles Parsons.
The image is taken from one of a number of glass plate negatives collected by W.A. Cocks of Ryton. W.A. Cocks was a keen local historian, archaeologist and an inveterate collector. He not only collected and played pipes, but also made them. He helped to produce the first ever book of plans for making Northumbrian pipes and researched extensively into the history of the pipes in the region. His collection of glass plates date from the late 1890s to the 1950s. Many of the early images were taken by J.P. Dalton, Surveyor to Ryton Urban District Council between 1898 and 1905. The plates are numbered and an annotated notebook in Cock's hand accompanies the collection from which title and date information is taken.
2 Related Thesaurus Terms
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 8.922 secs.