Title: Ottovale Tar works, Blaydon Burn
Date: Date Unknown
Reference Number: GL002206
Item Description: A coke works was set up on the site of old Dockendale Hall on the banks of Blaydon Burn in 1902. It comprised of 80 ovens made by the German Company Otto Hilgenstock. The area became known as 'Ottovale'. To make use of the waste heat from the coke works an electricity place was also established in 1904. It initially supplied power to Blaydon Bynr Colliery and remained in operation until 1959. The gases from the coke works contained other useful products and a refinery was added to the complex in 1911. The tar went to Thomas Ness Ltd. (Rounding & Yellowley, 1986).
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 8.884 secs.