Title: Steam truck, Windy Nook Quarry
Date: Date Unknown
Reference Number: GL002399
Item Description: Windy Nook Quarry was owned by R. Kell & Co. Quarrying was an ancient occupation in this area and there were many quarries in the vicinity.
Richard Kell was the second son of Ebenezer Kell of Felling Shore. Born in 1749, Richard began quarrying at Heworth Shore in 1784. The family continued the business of quarrying throughout the 19th century, establishing quarries at High Heworth and Windy Nook, amongst others. St. Albanís Church, Windy Nook Board Schools, the Co-operative Society and Windy Nook Fever Hospital are among the many buildings built with stone from Kellís Quarry at Windy Nook. The quarries became run down in the first half of the 20th century and were eventually filled in during the 1960s.
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 9.663 secs.