Title: Chemical Works, Friars Goose, 1851
Reference Number: GL002006
Item Description: The river frontage at South Shore was one of the main locations for the chemical industry. By the nineteenth century, it was already a conglomeration of industries; glass, soap and iron. In the early nineteenth century, various chemical works opened. In 1828, Thomas Doubleday and Anthony Easterby, Newcastle manufactuerers, sought to change the use of some land at Gateshead from whale oil to oil of vitriol manufacture. The high price of alkali led them to use recovered soapers salts. The first sulphuric acid chambers on the Tyne had been set up for this purpose in 1809 at Bill Quay (Cambell, 1968, p17). A 'Sulphuric Works' on Pipewellgate is marked on the first edition County Series Ordnance Survey Map of 1857.
When Anthony Clapham moved his soap factory from Ballast Hills to Friars goose this had the effect of opening out the South Shore to Bill Quay and the establishment of the largest chemical works in the district. The works at Friars Goose closed shortly before the First World War but the main works at South Shore remained open. (Manders, 1973, p74).
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 9.884 secs.