Title: Pinfold, Holy Cross steeple and Dene Head House, Ryton, c1900
Reference Number: 01_02
Item Description: The Pinfold is located in the west of Ryton village and was used to keep stray animals the owners were charges a fine, when they came to collect their animals. The pinfold dates back to the 12th century, the design is thought of as a rarity as the pinfold is located on a hill where a stream once ran through, providing drinking water for the animals, which in many pinfolds was the responsibility of the owner. Ryton Heritage Group restored the pinfold in 1974.
This image is taken from one of a number of glass plate negatives collected by W.A. Cocks of Ryton. W.A. Cocks was a keen local historian, archaeologist and an inveterate collector. He not only collected and played pipes, but also made them. He helped to produce the first ever book of plans for making Northumbrian pipes and researched extensively into the history of the pipes in the region. His collection of glass plates date from the late 1890s to the 1950s. Many of the early images were taken by J.P. Dalton, Surveyor to Ryton Urban District Council between 1898 and 1905. The plates are numbered and an annotated notebook in Cock's hand accompanies the collection from which title and date information is taken.
2 Related Thesaurus Terms
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 8.864 secs.