Title: Elvaston Cottages, Ryton Village, c1900
Reference Number: 02_02
Item Description: Elvaston cottages in the early 1900s. The cottages originally stood either side of The Three Jolly Lads Inn which was built in the same style and pictured here. In the early 1900s the Inn was demolished and a new Edwardian model named the Jolly Fellows was built on the same site between the cottages. The cottages were eventually demolished in the 1950s.
This image is taken from one of a number of glass plate negatives collected by W.A. Cocks of Ryton. W.A. Cocks was a keen local historian, archaeologist and an inveterate collector. He not only collected and played pipes, but also made them. He helped to produce the first ever book of plans for making Northumbrian pipes and researched extensively into the history of the pipes in the region. His collection of glass plates date from the late 1890s to the 1950s. Many of the early images were taken by J.P. Dalton, Surveyor to Ryton Urban District Council between 1898 and 1905. The plates are numbered and an annotated notebook in Cock's hand accompanies the collection from which title and date information is taken.
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 8.833 secs.