Title: 24-26 Leonards Court, Gateshead, 1930s
Reference Number: GL004397
Item Description: Situated on the east site of Gateshead High Street, this street was named after James Leonard who had market gardens specialising in spruce and other fir trees on this site. During Victorian times, it housed a high proportion of Irish immigrants and was the scene of 15 deaths in the 1853 cholera epidemic. Together with Pipewellgate and the area known as ‘The island’ this was regarded as one of the worst areas of town
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 9.400 secs.