Title: Inmates at Gateshead Union Workhouse, 1906
Reference Number: GL002105
Item Description: Gateshead Union originally included five workhouses, at Gateshead, Heworth, Swalwell, Winlaton and Ryton Woodside. In the 1830s it was decided that the first two were sufficient for the needs of the Union and the remainder should be sold. A new workhouse was built to accommodate all the inmates on the site of Woodbine Street, off Coatsworth Road in Bensham. It soon became clear that this building was not adequate and after several extensions a new workhouse was proposed. After much debate a site was selected at High Teams Farm and opened in 1890. The workhouse later became known as the High Teams Institution and is pictured here in 1906.
1 Related Thesaurus Terms
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 9.616 secs.