Title: The Redheugh Bridge Toll House, 1980
Photographer: Armstrong, P.W
Reference Number: GL007340
Item Description: The original Redheugh bridge was built 1868-71 and was later rebuilt 1897-1901. The construction of both bridges were hindered with delays in materials and later it became apparent that both bridges suffered serious structual flaws. In 1980 work began to replace the second Redheugh bridge, the current bridge can carry loads up to 4,000 tonnes and has a life expactancy of 120 years. The bridge was opened on 18th May 1983 by the Princess of Wales.
A toll house was present on the Newcastle side of the Redheugh Bridge when it opened in 1871 however, revenue was not as high as expected. The toll house also re-opened when the second Redheugh Bridge was built in 1901 and after WW1 the volume of traffic over the bridge increased greatly aiding toll revenue. However, with the opening of the toll free Tyne bridge in 1928 the Redheugh Bridge noticed a drop in tolls and it was suggested they accept an offer made by the Corporations of Newcastle and Gateshead to sell the bridge for £151,000. The Redheugh Bridge was sold in 1937 at which time the tolls were withdrawn.
1 Related Thesaurus Terms
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 9.846 secs.