Title: The Felling Branch of Shephard's Shoes
Reference Number: SNO00089
Item Description: Shephard's Shoe shop on Coatsworth Road was one of a chain of several stores throughout the North East of England owned by Emerson Shephard. Shephard began in his business in Gateshead opening a small shop in Swinburn Street in 1906 and later transferred to West Street. In 1908 Shephard opened his first branch in Dunston and a year later opened a second in Whitley Bay.
Between 1909 and 1924 Shephard opened further stores in Ashington, Felling, Coatsworth Road, Birtley and Hebburn. In 1934 the final extension was added to the headquarters in West Street and Ellison Street which gave the store a total floor area of approximately 100,000 sq ft.
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 8.915 secs.