Title: The Phoenix Inn Public House, 266 High Street, Gateshead, 1930s
Date: Date Unknown
Reference Number: GL001562
Item Description: This street was demolished in 1940 and ran off the High Street. Pictured on the left of the photograph is the Phoenix Inn. The inn appears to have been owned by Jane Hindmarsh in 1841 - who was 60 at the time. By 1873 it was owned by J. Lamb and it is known today as Curley's after the landlord of the inn in the 1930's, the noted boxer Will Curley. Although the inn has survived, Charles Street was demolished in the 1940s.
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 8.854 secs.