Title: Derelict pit, Kibblesworth, October 1981
Photographer: Ermel, Trevor J.
Reference Number: GL000539
Item Description: Although there had been coal-mining in the Kibblesworth area from medieval times, relatively few men were employed in the industry until the sinking of Robert Pit in 1842. From this date the fortunes of the village followed those of the industry with particular black spots during the strikes of 1921 and 1926 and the depression of the 1930s, high spots in the boom of the 1950s and 60s, and eventually closure of the pit in 1974.
Coal was transported from Kibblesworth to the Tyne at Jarrow using the Bowes Railway. The line was started by Stephenson in 1826 and extended to Kibblesworth when Robert Pit was sunk in 1842. The railway used three types of power - locomotives, stationary engines and self-acting inclines.
Content Copyright © Gateshead Council. All Rights Reserved. This website is powered by Trio 2.0
13 queries were performed to generate this page in 8.923 secs.